Cabbage and Sweet Potato Stir Fry is an easy 30-minute meal with just ten ingredients. It is packed with tastiness. Both the sweet potatoes and the cabbage make it a little sweet. The fennel seeds add just the right boost of flavor. And the chicken provides good protein.
This is one of those dishes that has a delightful texture. The sweet potatoes will be a little soft. The chicken, of course, is a little chewy and juicy. I like to leave the cabbage a bit crunchy in this cabbage and sweet potato stir fry because the different textures of this dish are so satisfying.
Why This Recipe Works
This is a simple yet delicious stir fry recipe that requires only a little preparation and can be made in about 30 minutes using two pans. The combination of sweet and salty foods is one that most people like. It makes a complete meal that is colorful, filling, and enjoyable.
What Goes Into This Recipe
I’ll bet you have most of the ingredients in your kitchen. Both cabbage and sweet potatoes are vegetables that will last a long time in a refrigerator vegetable crisper. So, I usually have them on hand. Besides sweet potatoes and cabbage, you’ll need onion, sweet red bell pepper, garlic, olive oil, fennel seed, chicken tenders, salt, and pepper. I generally have all of these ingredients in my ready-to-use supplies. Do you?
Of course, you usually can't go wrong when you stir-fry onions, garlic, and other fresh vegetables. Just about any vegetables work in a stir fry. Some specific substitutions for this recipe are:
- Green bell pepper can be substituted for red bell pepper. Red pepper has a little sweeter flavor, but green pepper is tasty, too.
- Canola oil or another mild oil can be substituted for olive oil, without any change in flavor.
- Chicken breast is a good substitute for chicken tenders. And you can even swap precooked dark meat chicken or roasted chicken pieces for the tenders, adding it right at the end of the recipe instead of adding it raw in the earlier step.
How To Make This Recipe
Start with peeling and cubing the sweet potatoes. Put the cubed sweet potatoes in a pot of water and bring them to a boil. You’ll want the potatoes to be just a little undercooked (crisp-tender) so they hold their shape and texture when you put them in the stir fry.
Keep an eye on the sweet potatoes so they don’t overcook. They should be ready to drain in about 10-15 minutes. Drain them and set them aside when they are still a little crisp. They will finish cooking when you add them to the stir fry.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, chop your onion and red peppers, and mince the garlic. Prepare the sliced cabbage so it’s ready to cook.
Now heat the oil in a large sauté pan or wok and sauté the chicken tenders until they are almost done. They will be white throughout, but not yet browned on the outside. Remove them to another plate.
Then, in the same pan, toss in the fennel to release the flavor. Add the onions and sauté them until they start to caramelize (brown). Toss in the diced peppers and let them cook for a minute or two. Add the garlic and give everything a stir.
Add the cabbage and continue to stir fry until the cabbage is crisp-tender. Stir occasionally to make sure everything gets evenly cooked.
Add the drained sweet potatoes to the skillet. Return the chicken to the pan and let the pieces brown a bit. Add salt and pepper to taste, and give the dish a stir. Enjoy!
Store in a covered dish in the refrigerator for up to three days.
More Stir Fry Recipes To Try
FAQs And Expert Tips
A good size is about ¼ inch wide.
Caraway seed or rosemary can be substituted for fennel as a scrumptious option.
A cup of canned cannellini beans or other white beans (without the liquid) would be an excellent choice.
Although you can substitute a variety of fresh vegetables in a stir fry, I do not suggest using green beans in this one. Green beans tend to overwhelm the flavor of the dish. Save them for when you want that wonderful green bean flavor to be primary.
Did you try this recipe? You can leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in the recipe card or a review down in the comments section. I always appreciate your feedback!
Cabbage Sweet Potato Stir Fry Recipe
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut in 2" pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 chicken tenders cubed into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 medium yellow onion cut in chunks
- ½ cup red pepper diced
- ½ cabbage cut in chunks
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the sweet potato chunks in a pot of water and boil until tender crisp. Drain.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Add the chicken and cook until the meat is white throughout.
- Remove the chicken to another dish.
- Return the skillet to the stove, and add the fennel. Stir to release the flavor.
- Add the onion and sauté until it starts to caramelize.
- Toss in the garlic, and give it a stir.
- Add the red pepper and cabbage.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables are crisp tender. Add the sweet potatoes and chicken.
- Stir to combine and heat for a minute or two more to make sure everything is hot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.