Cabbage Sweet Potato Stir Fry a tasty way to make a meal.
I created this Cabbage Sweet Potato Stir Fry recipe a few years ago when I didn’t feel like running out to the store to purchase fresh vegetables. Both cabbage and sweet potatoes are vegetables that will last a long time in your vegetable crisper. And I tend to have them in my refrigerator. Since I have been cooking forever, I can easily make a meal out of ingredients I have on hand. And with the pandemic lockdown in place, we aren’t going to the grocery store often. This meal turned out great. Both the sweet potatoes and the cabbage make it a little sweet. The fennel seeds add just the right boost of flavor. And the chicken adds good protein.
Of course, you usually can’t go wrong when you stir fry onions, garlic and other fresh vegetables. Just about any vegetables work in a stir fry. One note of warning—green beans are good in stir fry, too, but they tend to overwhelm the flavor of the dish so I leave them out when I make something that has subtle flavors.
What You Need
You will need knives, a cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and a large skillet or wok. I use a big (12″) Cuisinart nonstick skillet to cook a stir fry. It is a versatile pan that works well for me. But you can use a wok. It works even better.
Cabbage Sweet Potato Stir Fry Recipe
Cabbage Sweet Potato Stir Fry
- 2 sweet potatoes (peeled and cut in 2" pieces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 5 chicken tenders (cubed into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 medium yellow onion (cut in chunks)
- 1/2 cup red pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cabbage (cut in chunks)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Place the sweet potato chunks in a pot of water and boil until tender crisp. Drain.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Add the chicken and cook until the meat is white throughout.
- Remove the chicken to another dish.
- Return the skillet to the stove, and add the fennel.
- Stir to release flavor, and add the onion, red pepper, cabbage, and garlic.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables are crisp tender. Add the sweet potatoes and chicken.
- Stir to combine and heat for a minute or two more to make sure everything is hot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Chinese Chicken Stir Fry
- Peanut Chicken Stir Fry
- How to Make Sticky Rice
- Baked Rice
- Yellow Rice and Beans
- Vegan Mexican Red Rice
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?