Cabbage Sweet Potato Stir Fry a tasty way to make a meal.
Cabbage Sweet Potato Stir Fry
I created this Cabbage Sweet Potato Stir Fry recipe a few years ago when I didn’t feel like running out to the store to purchase fresh vegetables. Both cabbage and sweet potatoes are vegetables that will last a long time in your vegetable crisper. And I usually have them in my refrigerator. Since I have been cooking forever, I can easily make a meal out of ingredients I have on hand. And with the pandemic lockdown in place, we aren’t going to the grocery store often. This meal turned out great. Both the sweet potatoes and the cabbage make it a little sweet. The fennel seeds add just the right boost of flavor. And the chicken adds good protein.
Of course, you usually can’t go wrong when you stir fry onions, garlic and other fresh vegetables. Just about any vegetables work in a stir fry. One note of warning—green beans are good in stir fry, too, but they tend to overwhelm the flavor of the dish so I leave them out when I make something that has subtle flavors.
What You Need
You will need knives, a cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and a large skillet or wok. I use a big (12″) Cuisinart nonstick skillet (affiliate link) to cook a stir fry. It is a versatile pan that works well for me. But you can use a wok. It works even better.Print
Cabbage Sweet Potato Stir Fry Recipe
A sweet and savory stir fry with chicken.
- Cuisine: American
- 2 sweet potatoes (peeled and cut in 2″ pieces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 5 chicken tenders (cubed into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 medium yellow onion (cut in chunks)
- ½ cup red pepper (diced)
- ½ cabbage (cut in chunks)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Place the sweet potato chunks in a pot of water and boil until tender crisp. Drain.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Add the chicken and cook until the meat is white throughout.
- Remove the chicken to another dish.
- Return the skillet to the stove, and add the fennel.
- Stir to release flavor, and add the onion, red pepper, cabbage, and garlic.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the vegetables are crisp tender. Add the sweet potatoes and chicken.
- Stir to combine and heat for a minute or two more to make sure everything is hot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
You May Like These Recipes & Posts From Recipe Idea Shop
- Chinese Chicken Stir Fry
- Peanut Chicken Stir Fry
- How to Make Sticky Rice
- Baked Rice
- Yellow Rice and Beans
- Vegan Mexican Red Rice
- Never Get So Busy You Forget to Make a Life
- What is a Heart Healthy Diet?
SIGN UP FOR UPDATES TO GET TIPS, RECIPES & FREE GIFTS
Trust me, you’re gonna love our recipes and healthy, happy posts. Sign up for our email updates to get free gifts, recipes, happy thoughts, and tips for identifying and avoiding foods that are sabotaging your health.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
Such an easy and quick recipe! Yum. Cabbage Sweet Potato Stir Fry with Chicken.
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked “gluten free,” etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This recipe was originally posted on Recipe Idea Shop April 22, 2020 and March 24, 2021.