Chickpea Salad Good Picnic Food
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen, telling you about a delicious, vegan Chickpea Salad that takes about 10 minutes to make. I served this simple salad over a bed of lettuce and added some fried polenta as a side, and the meal was delicious.
What You Need
You will need a knife, cutting board, whisk, measuring cups and spoons, bowl and salad spinner (affiliate link). Don’t skip the olive tapenade in this recipe. It’s super good.
Chickpea Salad RecipePrint
Flavorful vegan chickpea salad
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Main Course, Salad, Side Dish
- Cuisine: American, Gluten Free, Mediterranean, Vegan
- ½ teaspoon chopped mild jalapenos or green chilies (I used canned)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon olive tapenade (optional; commercially made is fine)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili pepper
- Juice of 1 lime (or lemon)
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed)
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- Whisk the dressing ingredients (jalapeños, oil, garlic, tapenade, cumin, coriander, oregano, chili pepper and lime juice) together.
- Then combine the chickpeas, red onion, cilantro and red pepper in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the dressing.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cover and chill.
- Serve over a bed of fresh spinach.
Keywords: chickpea salad
Affiliate Disclosure: This website may contain affiliate marketing links, which means we may get paid commission on sales of those products or services we write about, including Amazon. Editorial content is not influenced by advertisers or affiliate partnerships. This disclosure is provided in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR § 255.5: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF, SF, EF, CF, V, VG*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Nourish Your Body & Soul
I encourage you to care of yourself by eating satisfying, nourishing food that is good for your body and makes you feel healthy. Protect your spirit by living authentically, moving your body, and taking time to replenish and rest. I think you might also like these recipes & posts from Recipe Idea Shop:
- Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- Mediterranean Chickpea Stew
- Authentic Middle Eastern Hummus
- Vegetable Dill Stew
- Eggplant Chickpea Spiced Quinoa
- Spicy Black Beans and Apricots
- Slow Cooker Middle Eastern Chickpea and Lentil Soup
- It Ain’t Just The Diet (that’s packing on the pounds)
Sign Up For Updates To Get Tips, Recipes & Free Gifts
I think you’re gonna love our recipes and healthy, happy posts. Sign up for our email updates to get free gifts, recipes, happy thoughts, and tips for identifying and avoiding foods that are sabotaging your health.
Rate, Pin & Share!
Please Rate our recipes and posts, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked “gluten free,” etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This post was first published on Recipe Idea Shop April 7, 2011 and updated June 2, 2021.