Coconut Basmati Rice is a mildly flavored rice that makes an excellent quick side dish for just about any meal.
This is a subtly flavored rice that goes with just about anything. The recipe has the three elements I think make it a good choice: it’s different, it’s wholesome, and it’s easy.
Lois and I are involved in the Quaker summer camp program for kids in our area. Many of our grandchildren attend these Quaker camps. Unfortunately, because of the pandemic, the camps are closed this year. But we still love the recipes from camp. And we think you will, too.
One year as a fundraiser, the camps published a cookbook with all the favorite foods served at the three Quaker camps in Virginia and Maryland. Looking through the cook book for a side dish to complement the roast chicken we were preparing, Lois found a coconut rice recipe. All the recipes we have tried are terrific.
We know you’re gonna love this.
What You Need
You’ll need measuring cups and spoons and a heavy bottomed pan. Be sure to use unsweetened coconut flakes or the rice will be too sweet.
Coconut Basmati Rice Recipe
Coconut Basmati Rice
Rice, lightly flavored with coconut
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes (unsweetened) optional
- Combine all but the rice and coconut milk in a heavy sauce pan.
- When the water mixture boils, add the rice and coconut milk, stir, and loosely cover the pan so steam can escape. Simmer the rice for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Cover the pan tightly and remove from heat.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes before transferring to a warm serving dish.
- If you want, garnish it with a sprinkle of the toasted coconut.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Tarragon Rice Pilaf
- Baked Rice
- Mexican Red Rice
- Brown Rice Salad with Cranberries and Nuts
- Lentil Rice Stuffed Roasted Eggplant
- Savory Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash Rice Salad
- Lemon Rice
- Ayman’s Egyptian Rice
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?