Recipe Idea: Coconut Basmati Rice
Hi. Don here, telling you about Coconut Basmati Rice, a subtlly flavored rice that goes with just about anything.
Lois and I are involved in the Quaker summer camp program for kids in our area. This year as a fundraiser, they published a cookbook with all the favorite foods served at the three Quaker camps in Virginia and Maryland. All the recipes we have tried are terrific.
Looking through the cook book for a side dish to complement the roast chicken we were preparing, Lois found a coconut rice recipe. It has the three elements I think make it a good choice: it’s different, it’s wholesome and it’s easy.
We know you’re gonna love this.
BUT FIRST, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?
Coconut Basmati Rice
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut flakes (unsweetened) optional
- Combine all but the rice and coconut milk in a heavy sauce pan.
- When the water mixture boils, add the rice and coconut milk, stir, and loosely cover the pan so steam can escape. Simmer the rice for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Cover the pan tightly and remove from heat.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes before transferring to a warm serving dish.
- If you want, garnish it with a sprinkle of the toasted coconut.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.