Savory Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash Rice Salad is scrumptious. You are gonna love it. It is sweet, savory, filling, and, surprisingly, vegan and gluten free. And it's really good! Remember that Roasted Butternut Squash recipe from a while ago? You can use that squash in this recipe.
Savory sweet roasted butternut squash rice salad is a perfect main dish.
With squash season approaching, I wanted to give you this super good Roasted Butternut Squash Rice Salad recipe. It is a flavorful main dish salad you will love. Butternut squash, rice, black beans and spices. Yum!
If you haven't had Roasted Butternut Squash, you are in for a treat. When you roast the squash in the oven, it gets caramelized, sweet and delicious. You can eat it just as it comes out of the oven, hot and amazing, room temperature or cold. Trust me, it doesn't taste anything like the baked squash your mom made you eat.
Meal In One
I wanted a complete meal-in-one when I made this Savory Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash Rice Salad with Black Beans. I decided to combine some brown rice, similar to my Eqyptian Rice with the roasted squash and black beans. A-MAZ-ING and filling. It's a great one-pan meal if you have left-over Roasted Butternut Squash. Nevertheless, I still made a mess in the kitchen. 🙂
What You Need
For this recipe you need measuring cups and spoons, a jelly roll pan, a medium saucepan and a beautiful serving bowl. But what you really want to get is parchment paper to line your pans and an amazing espresso machine, right?
Vegan, gluten free and soy free. It's also nut free if you skip the pine nuts. Please comment when you make it and let me know what you think. I know you're gonna wanna eat this.
Savory Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash Rice Salad Recipe
Savory Sweet Roasted Butternut Squash Rice Salad
- 1 Butternut Squash peeled, seeded and cubed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 15.5- ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon curry
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 1-½ cups water
- Toasted pine nuts optional
Roast the Squash
- Place the cubed squash in a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and the sea salt. Mix to coat.
- Spread evenly over one layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake at 450F degrees for a total of 30 minutes, turning the cubes over once about halfway through the cook time.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
Make the Rice
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add ½ the rice and stir to coat. Continue to cook the rice until it begins to brown.
- Add the remaining spices and stir to release flavor.
- Add the water, stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and cover the pot.
- Continue simmering the rice until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 35 minutes. (Check it occasionally so it doesn't burn.)
Combine the Salad
- Place the black beans, roasted squash and rice in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately or chill to serve later. Add toasted pine nuts to garnish, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!