RECIPE IDEA: Craisin Coleslaw Provides Just the Right Sweetness
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about a little different salad, Craisin Coleslaw. It’s made like regular Coleslaw but the addition of craisins (or raisins) makes it chewier and sweeter. It’s a staple at most church suppers—at least in the U.S. Midwest. Have you ever had it? Some people also add nuts to the salad, but I like it best without nuts.
Making this salad is super easy, especially with a food processor. Zip, zip, zip and the cabbage is all shredded. If you don’t have a food processor, you can make it the old-fashioned way, with a box grater. And it doesn’t matter if the cabbage is ground up or actually shredded. My mom made her coleslaw with an old meat grinder. I like it both ways and often make a little bit with a box grater because I don’t want to have tons left over and I don’t want to have to clean the food processor. We also have a mini food processor that works well.
You’re gonna wanna eat this.
BUT FIRST, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?
- 1/2 a cabbage shredded (or ground)
- 1 medium carrot shredded (or ground)
- 1/2 a yellow onion diced (tiny)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries craisins or raisins
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/8 cup fine granulated white sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Once you have the cabbage, carrot and onion shredded/cut up, then it's a matter of mixing everything together except for the dressing. Put the cabbage, carrot, onion and craisins in a medium bowl.
- In a 1 cup measuring cup or small bowl, mix the Miracle Whip (or substitute mayonnaise), milk, sugar, salt and pepper until smooth. Taste it. The dressing should be slightly sweet and salty. You can add more seasonings, a tiny bit at a time, mixing thoroughly until it is the taste you like.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and mix to thoroughly coat.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.