Chocolate Ginger Spice Cakes are made in small batches. Perfect when you just want one or two, and they are so luscious.
I gotta tell you—Debby Maugans’ cookbook, Small-Batch Baking for Chocolate Lovers, is a winner! I have tried several of her recipes and they are all terrific; I highly recommend this cookbook. And these cupcakes are amazing.
Don asked for dessert and we didn’t have a thing in the house (without making something). I had most of the ingredients, including the delicious candied ginger. Debby calls for full-fat milk and cream, but I don’t buy that, so I substituted 2 percent milk and half and half. Debby Maugans’ Chocolate Ginger Spice Cupcakes were a hit. I loved the combination of the candied ginger and chocolate.
What You Need
For this recipe, you need measuring cups and spoons, a hand-held mixer, a small knife, cutting board and some ramekins, coffee cups or cupcake tins. Buy the best you can afford and you’ll never be sorry. And get yourself a terrific coffee maker so you can have a good cup of coffee with your cupcake.
Chocolate Ginger Spice Cupcakes Recipe
Debby Maugans' Chocolate Ginger Spice Cupcakes
Deep chocolate cupcakes with a bite of candied ginger
- 1 square Baker's Chocolate
- 1 tablespoon half and half
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 17 1/2 tablespoons flour (that is, 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 Pinch of ground allspice
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (you can substitute half and half)
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate chips or 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons finely minced candied ginger for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Line 3 regular muffin cups with paper liners.
- Fill the remaining cups halfway full of water to prevent scorching, and set the pan aside.
- Place the baker's chocolate in a small, microwave-safe mixing bowl; microwave on high for 30 seconds to one minute (depending on your microwave) until glossy. (Check it periodically as it burns easily.)
When glossy and almost melted, stir until smooth.
- Let cool slightly.
- Whisk in milk, egg yolk and vanilla.
- Place the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and allspice in a sieve; sift into a small, deep mixing bowl.
Add the brown sugar, butter and milk mixture.
- Beat on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Increase the speed to medium and beat until the mixture has lightened and slightly increased in volume, about 30 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, dividing it evenly.
- Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the cupcakes cool before removing them from the pan. (I let mine cool about 5 minutes and then I glazed them; I like my cupcakes warm!)
Place the cream (or half and half) in a small, microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high power for 15-30 seconds (until simmering).
- Stir in the chocolate until it is melted.
- Let cool to lukewarm.
- Drizzle the chocolate glaze over the cupcakes and sprinkle the minced candied ginger over the top. What a combination!
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes
- My Favorite Chocolate Cake
- Lemon Cake (Gluten Free)
- Sour Cream Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
- My Favorite Chocolate Brownies