Don’s Crumbly Top Apple Pie recipe is a family favorite at our house. Some people call this a Dutch Apple Pie. What’s more American than Apple Pie? Almost every holiday brings a request for this deliciously easy recipe.
Don’s Crumbly Top Apple Pie Recipe
Hi. It’s Lois. Don’s Crumbly Top Apple Pie Recipe (AKA Dutch Apple Pie) graces our table just about any season since Granny Smith apples are available year round where we live. Don doesn’t know where the original recipe for Don’s Crumbly Top Apple Pie came from, but he has experimented with the types of apples and seasonings over the years. This is our favorite combination; trust me, the best apples to use are Granny Smith Apples.
This Crumbly Top Apple Pie is always requested for Thanksgiving. So Don (our pie maker) makes one of these, at least one Pecan Pie, a couple of Pumpkin Pies, and usually one other variety, such as Chocolate Pecan Pie. I like the topping on this Crumbly Top Apple Pie so much that I use the topping on my Blueberry Pie.
What’s your favorite pie? What apples do you like to use in your Apple Pie? Why don’t you experiment with apples and spices? We would be interested in trying yours, too. Let us know what you think of ours!
Check out the recipe…
This is the best ready-made pie crust on the market, available in the dairy case.
Get yourself a couple of 9″ pie plates so you will be ready to make pies!
Don’s Crumbly Top Apple Pie Recipe
Don's Crumbly Top Apple Pie Recipe
This Crumbly Top Apple Pie Recipe is a simple dessert combining the tartness of the apple with the sweetness of the topping.
- 1 Pie Crust Pillsbury brand found in the dairy case is the best
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons corn starch
- 4 cups Granny Smith apples cored and sliced thin
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar or natural sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
Use a 9" pie plate for this pie.
Either use a purchased pie crust or make your favorite. You can even make this with no bottom crust in a flat casserole dish.
Put the pie crust directly on the pie plate (no need to grease it).
Pat the pie crust into place on the pie plate. There will likely be some extra crust along the rim. Cut this off so it meets the edge of the pie plate.
You can leave the crust as is or crimp the edges of the pie crust to make it pretty by pinching the crust between two fingers all along the rim. Now you should have a nice, wavy pie crust rim.
Core and slice the apples; thinner slices tend to make a better pie. You can peel the apples, too, but I prefer the peels left on.
- If you notice the apple slices are starting to turn brown while you are coring and slicing, toss them with a little lemon juice to keep their color.
Toss the apples with the rest of the filling dry ingredients, being careful that the slices are coated on both sides.
- Place apple slices in a 9-inch pie pan on the uncooked crust.
Top "Crust" (Crumbly Top)
Mix the sugar and flour for the top crust (the crumbly top).
Cut the butter into small bits and toss with the dry ingredients. It's easier to spread the crust if each bit of butter is coated with dry ingredients so they don't stick together.
- Spread the crumbly top mixture over the apples.
- Bake in a preheated 400F degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes. (Put the pie on an aluminum foil covered cookie sheet in the oven just in case it overflows.)
- The pie is done when the apple juice is thickened and bubbles up through the topping in several places.
- Serve either warm or at room temperature.
- Slice the pie and arrange on dessert plates with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired. Some people like it in a bowl with a little half and half poured on it, especially if there is no bottom crust.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
Don’s Crumbly Top Apple Pie Recipe Nutrition Information
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Libby’s Pumpkin Pie
- Roasted Pumpkin Pie
- Don’s Blueberry Pie
- Crumbly Top Blueberry Pie
- Molasses Pumpkin Pecan Ginger Pie
- Don’s Famous Favorite Pecan Pie
- Chocolate Pecan Pie
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?