Recipe Idea: Don’s Gluten Free Shortbread Pie Crust. Flaky. Tasty.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.
Hi. Don here. Lois is on a gluten free diet now to see if that helps with some of the aches and pains she has. I wanted to make a pie for the Recipe Idea Shop 2012 pie contest and needed a gluten free crust. So I converted a shortbread cookie recipe using gluten free rice flour. This is easier than a traditional pie crust because there is no rolling. Just pat it into the pie pan.
We had Friends over to watch a movie and the peach pie—especially the crust—got rave reviews.
And you can use this to make shortbread cookies, too. Just pat the mixture into a pan. It should be ¼ inch thick; then bake it for 15 to 20 minutes or so at 350F degrees. It will be golden brown and crispy. When it is done baking, you will want to cut it into pieces while it is still warm (to prevent cracking when cutting).
Or, remove the shortbread from the oven when it is about ½ done and score it; then you can easily break the shortbread into pieces later. If you press it into square pans, score the shortbreads square. In a round pan score the shortbread pieces in wedges.
Did you grab your FREE cookbook?
No special tools are required for this recipe. I used measuring cups and spoons, a mixing bowl, an electric mixer, and a pie plate, similar to these:
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 1 C rice flour
- 1/4 C sugar (I use natural or Turbinado sugar)
- 1/2 C butter, softened (or 1/2 cup Crisco for dairy free)
- Heat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Blend in the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Press the shortbread mixture into a pie plate.
- First cover the bottom about a quarter inch thick.
- Then tilt the plate slightly to more easily press the mixture onto the sides.
- Make sure the joint between the side and bottom is pressed together well.
- If making shortbread only, then press the mixture to ¼ inch thick in either a square or round pan.
- Bake in the 350F degree oven for about 10 minutes, just until the crust begins to brown for a pie shell to be filled and baked.
- Otherwise bake the shell for 15 to 20 minutes until it is golden brown.
- Let it cool before using it for non-baked pies.
- For shortbread cookies, bake for 15 to 20 minutes until they are golden brown and crisp.