A mild flavor of anise tickles your palate in this French Vegetable Stew (vegan). Refreshing and amazing. The French know how to put flavors together.
French Vegetable Stew Could Make You a Vegan
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen, with a new recipe, French Vegetable Stew. It’s totally amazing—of course, because it’s inspired by a Moosewood Restaurant recipe—so flavorful and simple to make. A healthy dinner is on the table in less than an hour.
Life & Food
We often host guests from other countries because Eastern Mennonite University is nearby. EMU attracts a lot of international students. It is always so interesting to hear what life is like around the world, learn about the foods these guests eat and how they prepare them, and listen and learn from them.
Our guests share this information with us willingly. In 2015, our Kenyan friend, who was attending the Summer Peacebuilding Institute, made food for us, talked about the roles of men and women in African society, and enlightened us on ways of looking at potential conflict situations.
She also taught me how to chiffonade with my chef’s knife.
Not only do we host these guests, I try to accommodate their food preferences. Some guests prefer to eat mostly vegetables, so we eat more vegan meals. This French Vegetable Stew (Vegan) has become one of my all-time favorites.
Paired with some excellent Crusty French Bread Rolls and a glass of wine, what more could you want? I’m sure you will like it too. Please comment on how you like it. Check out the recipe.
French Vegetable Stew Recipe
French Vegetable Stew (Vegan)
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 large leeks washed and chopped (white and tender green parts only)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 t fennel seeds
- 1 fennel bulb sliced
- 2 large white potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 15- ounce cans undrained petite diced tomatoes
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 15- ounce can Cannelini beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or other large pot.
- Add the leeks, garlic, fennel bulb, and fennel seed and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, carrots and potatoes.
- Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans, tarragon and vinegar about 10 minutes prior to serving and continue cooking for 2-5 minutes.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime). Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
French Vegetable Stew Nutrition Information
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- French Barley Salad
- French Potato Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Stew
- Vegan Mexican Red Rice
- Vegan Brunswick Stew