RECIPE IDEA: Three Layer Mint Brownies
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop. This Three Layer Mint Brownies recipe is another of my family’s favorite holiday “cookies.” They are easy to make and very pretty when served alongside other cookies. They are also lovely served on a plate with a strawberry, which is the way my friend, Michelle Esser, served them the first time I ate them. I thought they were so good, I had to get the recipe. That was in the mid-1980s and I’ve been making them ever since.
When my daughter Erin was in elementary school, she came home one day and told me that the teacher told her she must bring a treat the next day. She told me it had to be Three-Layer Mint Brownies. After I made the brownies and took them to school, I found out her teacher said nothing of the sort! Erin just wanted the brownies. The class was happy to have them, though.
I now make them gluten free using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Mix (which is great because you use it in the same proportions as regular flour), and Erin and I both like them even better. See Gluten Free 3 Layer Mint Brownies.
You’re gonna wanna eat these.
Did you grab your FREE cookbook?
Three-Layer Mint Brownies
Three layers of deliciousness: brownie, mint icing, chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 can large size Hershey's Syrup
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green food coloring
- 1 stick butter
- 1 small package chocolate chips
- Mix the first three ingredients. Beat until smooth.
- Add flour and baking powder. Mix well.
- Add Hershey's Syrup. Mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350F degrees for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Mix butter, powdered sugar, milk, peppermint extract, and a few drops of green food coloring.
- Beat until smooth and spread on cooled brownies.
- Melt butter and chocolate chips in a double boiler. This can be done in the microwave, but be careful. Chocolate burns easily so microwave it on high for one or two minutes at a time and stir it frequently. Mix well.
- Cool and spread evenly over mint layer.
- Refrigerate to set.
- Cut into two-inch squares (very rich!).
Note: brownies must be refrigerated or they tend to melt.
Store in refrigerator
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.