White Gravy is a simple 20-minute gravy made from milk. Add some green peas, and it is tasty over fish, pork or chicken. Or add sausage and more pepper for old-fashioned sausage gravy.
White Gravy (AKA "Milk Gravy") - a versatile gravy you should learn to make
When my mom made Salmon Patties or a Salmon Loaf for supper, she always made White Gravy with Green Peas, which was really a milk gravy with peas in it. She was fond of milk gravy—she called it White Gravy—and made it to put over pork chops, too, but then she didn't put peas in it (although that would be good, too). She fried onions and added the milk gravy to the onions and served it over Sautéed Pork Chops. It's yummy.
My Southern husband, Don, makes an amazing Sausage Gravy made similarly. It's made exactly the same way, except you fry ground sausage, drain some of the fat off, and make the white gravy with the drippings. Add the sausage back in, season with salt and pepper, and eat over biscuits. Good ole "country gravy."
What You Need
For this recipe, you will need measuring cups and spoons, a medium pan, and a whisk. Do yourself a favor and buy a great set of pans.
White Gravy with Peas Recipe
White Gravy Creamed Peas Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour (for gluten free, eliminate flour and use 2 tablespoons corn starch instead)
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ to 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour (or corn starch) and make a roux.
- Mix in the milk and stir until thoroughly combined and the gravy thickens.
- Add the pepper, salt and nutmeg and stir.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Stir in the peas and heat for about 5 minutes until the peas are heated through.
- Serve over Salmon Patties or Sautéed Pork Chops.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
You May Also Like These Recipes
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
Last Updated on September 4, 2022 by Adriana