Asparagus Mushroom Omelet, a tasty breakfast. Using fresh asparagus and fresh mushrooms is best, but you can use canned asparagus and mushrooms. So it’s simple to have everything on hand. Step-by-step omelet-making instructions included.
Don here. I’m the omelet maker in our family. Lois and I both love asparagus and mushrooms. When we combine them in a simple omelet, we feel decadent. In the picture, I used canned asparagus, and it was delicious. I do prefer fresh, crisp-tender asparagus, though.
Eat This While Dieting
This recipe originally came from The South Beach Diet, which is a diet that really works for me. This diet well for us. Last time we did it, Lois lost 5 pounds in two weeks and I lost 10.
For a bit more detailed description of how to make an omelet, check out our Mushroom Omelet recipe.
There’s Nothing Like Good Pans
Get yourself a good nonstick pan or set of pans and one of these Asparagus Steamers for making omelets. When cooking asparagus, we use our asparagus steamer, and love it. The basket lifts out, making it super easy to use.
Asparagus Mushroom Omelet Recipe
Asparagus and Mushroom Omelet
- 3 stalks fresh asparagus (save one for garnish)
- 1 spritz low fat cooking spray (like Pam)
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas. It's also great with exotic mushrooms like porcini.)
- 2 eggs (I prefer organic free-range brown eggs)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste (about 2 turns each of the pepper and salt grinders)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese (shredded)
Prepare the Asparagus
- Cook the asparagus in water until it is just tender crisp. (When I am in a hurry I use canned asparagus but it is wimpy - definitely not tender crisp.)
Cut the asparagus stalks into 1-inch long pieces or leave whole. Save one for garnish.
Sauté the Mushrooms
Sauté the mushrooms in a little olive oil and add butter for flavor if you want. (This can be done ahead. Refrigerate the sautéed mushrooms in an air tight container until needed.)
Whisk the Eggs
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and water until the whites and yolks are well blended. Add the nutmeg, salt and pepper and whisk again to combine.
Cook the Omelet
- Heat a 10" non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking oil over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles when it is added.
Pour the egg mixture into the hot pan. It should begin to set (firm up) immediately.
- As the egg mixture cooks, lift the edges to allow the uncooked portion to flow underneath.
- When it is mostly set, turn the omelet over.
Put it Together/Serve
Add the asparagus, mushrooms and cheese to one-half the omelet.
Fold the plain side of the omelet over the side with the vegetables, and allow it to cook just long enough to melt the cheese.
- Slide the omelet onto a serving plate.
- Garnish with an asparagus stalk and several mushroom slices.
Hint: When making omelets for larger parties, I use a 12" or 14" skillet and slice the omelet into several pieces to serve.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Mushroom Omelet
- Tomato Basil Pie
- Asparagus Tomato Frittata
- Spinach Red Pepper Frittata
- Smoked Salmon Frittata
- Bacon Artichoke Kalamata Frittata