Chilean Bean Corn Stew. Spicy. Vegan. Amazing. A wonderful combination of ingredients makes this filling and so scrumptious.
Chilean Bean Corn Stew
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about a superior Chilean Bean Corn Stew I love. It is one of my favorite vegetarian recipes.
My husband Don has Type O blood; I have Type A. According to Eat Right for Your Blood Type by Dr. Peter D’Adamo, Don should be a meat eater and I should be vegetarian. We compromise and eat a few meals a week with meat, a few vegetarian meals and the rest with fish.
Yesterday, Don was in Richmond all day for meeting so I made some vegetarian stew and went to a friend’s house for an evening of food and fellowship. I started with a recipe from the Moosewood Restaurant New Classics cookbook and made a few changes. I generally substitute black beans for kidney beans, pinto beans and most white beans. Moosewood recipes are always delicious.
This stew freezes well, so make some now to eat and save some for another day.
Make Your Life Easy
This recipe calls for transferring some of the soup to a blender or food processor. That can be messy. I highly recommend you get an Immersion Blender and use it instead.
Chilean Bean Corn Stew Recipe
Chilean Bean Corn Stew Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups owater
- 1 large butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cubed (or 2 sweet potatoes))
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans (thoroughly rinsed)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic and spices and cook until the onions are translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Add the water and the squash and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, basil and one cup of corn.
- Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Ladle 2 cups of broth into a blender or food processor.
- Add the remaining corn and puree until smooth.
- Stir this mixture back into the stew and heat for 5 minutes until hot.
- Serve with a nice, crusty bread and a green salad.
Alternate ingredients: Instead of black beans, you can use pinto beans. I have also substituted sweet potato for the butternut squash and it is delicious.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Chilean Bean Corn Stew Nutrition
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Gluten Free Tomato Basil Pie
- Tomato Basil Pie
- Middle Eastern Black Bean Fun
- Asparagus Tomato Frittata
- Spinach Red Pepper Frittata
- Bacon Artichoke Kalamata Frittata
- Mushroom Omelet