Chilean Bean Corn Stew. Spicy. Vegan. Amazing. A wonderful combination of ingredients makes this filling so scrumptious.
Chilean Bean & Corn Stew is packed with tasty protein.
One of my favorite vegetarian recipes, Chilean Bean & Corn Stew, is a great rainy day meal. Or any day. And October is National Vegetarian Awareness Month, so it's a good time to try a new vegetarian recipe, right?
The butternut squash adds a bit of sweetness and the spices create a depth of flavors. In 45 minutes you have a masterpiece.
The recipe originally came from the Moosewood Restaurant New Classics cookbook and, of course, I made a few changes. I generally substitute black beans for kidney beans, pinto beans and most white beans. Moosewood recipes are always delicious.
This stew freezes well, so make some now to eat and save some for another day.
Make Your Life Easy
This recipe calls for transferring some of the soup to a blender or food processor. That can be messy. I highly recommend you get an Immersion Blender and use it instead.
Chilean Bean Corn Stew Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups owater
- 1 large butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cubed (or 2 sweet potatoes))
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans (thoroughly rinsed)
- ½ cup fresh basil (chopped)
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic and spices and cook until the onions are translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Add the water and the squash and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, basil and one cup of corn.
- Cover and simmer for 5 more minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Ladle 2 cups of broth into a blender or food processor.
- Add the remaining corn and puree until smooth.
- Stir this mixture back into the stew and heat for 5 minutes until hot.
- Serve with a nice, crusty bread and a green salad.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
You May Also Like These Recipes
- Gluten Free Tomato Basil Pie
- Tomato Basil Pie
- Middle Eastern Black Bean Fun
- Asparagus Tomato Frittata
- Spinach Red Pepper Frittata
- Mushroom Omelet
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!