Crockpot Veggie Irish Stew. Easy peasy. Potatoes, of course. Black beans. A few spices and a little wine. So tasty. Good protein.
Crockpot Veggie Irish Stew
Hi. It's Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about a scrumptious slow cooker recipe, Crockpot Veggie Irish Stew.
Whenever I'm looking for a good vegetarian dish, I go to my old standby cookbooks. One of them is Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker (affiliate link) by Robin Robertson. I can always count on her recipes to be delicious. In this case, I started with Robertson's recipe and then adapted it to my tastes and available ingredients.
WHAT YOU NEED
You'll need a good knife, cutting board, slow cooker (of course), measuring cups and spoons, a colander, and a good sautÃ© pan. Buy the best you can afford and you'll never be sorry.
Crockpot Veggie Irish Stew Recipe
Crockpot Veggie Irish Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1½ cups baby carrots halved lengthwise
- 6-8 small potatoes white or red, halved and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15- ounce can black beans drained in a colander and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅓ cup dry white whine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste use sea salt for corn free
- 1 cup spinach or other dark leafy greens chopped
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the onions to a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- Sauté the carrots, and garlic in the skillet (about 5 minutes) and transfer them to the crockpot.
- Add all the other ingredients except the spinach to the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.
- About 15 minutes before serving, add the spinach to the crockpot.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF, EF, CF (use sea salt), V, VG*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
You May Like These Recipes & Posts From Recipe Idea Shop
- Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Crockpot Maple Baked Beans
- Crockpot Veggie Stew
- Vegan Mexican Rice
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes and posts, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked "gluten free," etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This recipe was originally posted on Recipe Idea Shop September 9, 2015 and updated March 19, 2021.