Mediterranean Chickpea Stew is a delightfully flavorful slow cooker recipe that will satisfy your craving for a hearty soup or stew.
Mediterranean Chickpea Stew With Vegetables and Artichokes
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about this superior slow cooker recipe, Mediterranean Chickpea Stew. Goodness gracious! I was looking for this recipe and found that somehow it got lost and isn’t on Recipe Idea Shop anymore! So I’m putting it up again. It is excellent—a bit tangy, full of flavor and packed with deliciousness. The potatoes, carrots and other vegetables make it very hearty. I like my stews with more liquid than some people do, so I don’t drain the tomatoes. I add the juice to the stew. I also use my Homemade Vegetable Stock instead of store-bought stock, and if I don’t have any, I add vegetarian bouillion and water in place of it.
This Mediterranean Chickpea Stew comes from Robin Robertson’s Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. Robertson’s recipes are always superior. She has several cookbooks on the market and I own three of them. Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker is my favorite (I absolutely love it!), but I like Vegan Planet and Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker a lot, too. Get yourself at least one of these cookbooks! Check out the recipe.
Mediterranean Chickpea Stew Recipe
Mediterranean Chickpea Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots minced
- 3 large carrots cut into half moons
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large fennel bulb stalks discarded, diced
- 1 pound of small red potatoes quartered
- 1 red pepper seeded and diced
- 1 15.5- ounce can artichoke hearts drained, rinsed and quartered
- 1 14.5- ounce can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 15.5- ounce can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet.
- Add the shallots, carrots and fennel and cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Toss in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more, stirring to prevent burning.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to a 6-quart slow cooker (Crockpot).
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the fresh herbs. If you are using dried herbs, add them now.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
A few minutes before serving, add the fresh herbs (if using).
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime)account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.
Mediterranean Chickpea Stew Nutrition Information
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Vegetable Dill Stew
- Moosewood’s Tilghman Island Stew
- Vegan Brunswick Stew
- White Bean and Barley Stew
- French Vegetable Stew