Mediterranean Chickpea Stew is a delightfully flavorful slow cooker recipe that will satisfy your craving for a hearty soup or stew.
Mediterranean Chickpea Stew With Vegetables and Artichokes is heart-healthy goodness.
January is National Slow Cooking Month and this Mediterranean Chickpea Stew recipe is a superior slow cooker recipe. It is a bit tangy, full of flavor, and packed with deliciousness. The potatoes, carrots, and other vegetables make it very hearty.
I like my stews with more liquid than some people do, so I don't drain the tomatoes. I add the juice to the stew. I also use my homemade vegetable stock instead of store-bought stock, and if I don't have any, I add vegetarian bouillion and water in place of it.
The original recipe comes from Robin Robertson's Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. Robertson's recipes are always superior. She has several cookbooks on the market and I own three of them. Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker is my favorite (I absolutely love it!), but I like Vegan Planet and Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker a lot, too. Get yourself at least one of these cookbooks.
What You Need
For this recipe, you will need a slow cooker or an Instant Pot. I have both and I tend to use the slow cooker for recipes that require long, slow heat. You will also need measuring cups and spoons, a knife, and a cutting board. Always buy the best tools you can afford and you will never be sorry.
Mediterranean Chickpea Stew Recipe
Mediterranean Chickpea Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots minced
- 3 large carrots cut into half moons
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large fennel bulb stalks discarded, diced
- 1 pound of small red potatoes quartered
- 1 red pepper seeded and diced
- 1 15.5- ounce can artichoke hearts drained, rinsed and quartered
- 1 14.5- ounce can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 15.5- ounce can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 1-½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves or ¼ teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano leaves or ¼ teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet.
- Add the shallots, carrots and fennel and cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Toss in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more, stirring to prevent burning.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to a 6-quart slow cooker (Crockpot).
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the fresh herbs. If you are using dried herbs, add them now.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- A few minutes before serving, add the fresh herbs (if using).
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF, SF, EF, CF (if you use sea salt), V, VG*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Vegetable Dill Stew
- Moosewood's Tilghman Island Stew
- Vegan Brunswick Stew
- White Bean and Barley Stew
- French Vegetable Stew
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked "gluten free," etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.