Gluten Free Sweet Potato Biscuits. I love, love, love them. Especially when warm, covered in peanut butter.
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Biscuits are my comfort food.
Although we didn’t get to go to camp this summer with the grandkids, I still wanted to tell you about Gluten Free Sweet Potato Biscuits. (Wheat) Sweet Potato Biscuits have long been a favorite at Shiloh Quaker Camp and Opequon Quaker Camp. The two camps use two different recipes. The kids just LOVE them, no matter how they are made.
But when the camp cooks make regular Sweet Potato Biscuits, they don’t make a comparable option for those of us who have to be gluten free. So I figured out how to make them. And they are GOOD.
Changing to Gluten Free
It’s harder to get the right texture with gluten free baking. But with the help of Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Baking Flour (affiliate link) and their biscuit recipe, I figured it out. I had tried the camp’s recipe, simply substituting gluten free flour. No luck. Next, I tried using yeast instead of baking powder. Again, a FAIL.
Then my husband noticed that Bob’s Red Mill has a buttermilk biscuit recipe on the package. I tried it, with a variety of substitutions. Yay! Tasty Gluten Free Sweet Potato Biscuits. I also successfully froze them. Super Yay!
What You Need
You need some sort of cookie sheet and a cooling rack. I love my jelly roll pan because it can be used multiple ways in the kitchen. I suggest you get this type of cookie sheet instead of one without sides.
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 4-1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 5 teaspoons Rumsfeld Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter cold and cut into tiny pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cooked sweet potatoes (very soft) (or 1 15-oz can yams, drained, but reduce the sugar)
- 3 tablespoons water, if necessary (add a little at a time)
Heat oven to 350F degrees.
Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until well blended.
- Mix the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles small pebbles.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk and sweet potatoes until smooth and fully blended.
Put the wet mixture into the dry and mix it until combined. It will be somewhat wet. If it it too try and crumbly, add a tablespoon of water at a time until it sticks together but is not sticky.
- Cut two large pieces of wax paper (or plastic wrap). Put a little of the GF flour on one.
- Turn the dough out of the bowl onto the wax paper. Sprinkle a little GF flour to the top of the dough.
- Put the other piece of wax paper over the dough.
- Roll dough to 2 inches thick.
- Remove the top piece of wax paper, and fold the dough over itself, top to bottom and then side to side.
- Cover dough with wax paper again and roll to 1-inch thick. Cut into 3-inch biscuits (1-inch thick) using a biscuit or cookie cutter dipped in GF flour, and place them on an ungreased baking sheet about 1/2-inch apart.
- Brush tops of the biscuits with melted butter.
Bake at 350F degrees for about 25 minutes until the biscuits are nicely golden brown.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack and serve hot.
Affiliate Disclosure: This website may contain affiliate marketing links, which means we may get paid commission on sales of those products or services we write about, including Amazon. Editorial content is not influenced by advertisers or affiliate partnerships. This disclosure is provided in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR § 255.5: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, NF, SF, V*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- French Bread
- The Best Basic White Bread
- Amazing Gluten Free French Bread
- Gluten Free Dairy Free White Bread
- Jalapeño Cornbread
- Dillie Bread
- Don’s Strawberry Shortcake
SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE RECIPES YOU LOVE & FREE GIFTS
Trust me, you’re gonna love our recipes. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked “gluten free,” etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This recipe was originally posted on Recipe Idea Shop May 9, 2017 and updated November 10, 2020.