Lentil Rice & Fruit Salad is a scrumptious vegan meal made with good carbs and loads of protein. Yum!
Main dish or side dish, this Lentil, Rice and Fruit Salad is a recipe you will make over and over. If you know me, you know I love Moosewood Restaurant recipes. This delicious, vegan recipe is filled with flavor and good-for-you goodness. The original recipe comes from the Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special cookbook, which is fast moving into my Number One cookbook spot.
Filling, scrumptious and fab. It is dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, and pack with 5.9 grams of protein per 7-ounce serving. This is a terrific main dish salad to take to a potluck supper or picnic.
What You Need
You will need a good set of heavy bottomed pans, knives, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, a wire whisk and a serving bowl. The best lentils are French Green Lentils, in my humble opinion. Get yourself some for this recipe.
Lentil, Rice and Fruit Salad
Chewy lentils, crunchy vegetables and fruits in a wonderful vinaigrette
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 4 2/3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (scant teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils (or brown lentils, but green are better)
- 1 medium Gala apple (crisp, cored and diced)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup seedless grapes (cut in half)
- 1 large red or green pepper (diced)
- 1 celery stalk (diced)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 tablespoons white or red balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Cook the Rice and Lentils
- In a small, heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid, combine the rice, 1 2/3 cups water, 1 bay leaf, 1 garlic clove and 1/4 teaspoon thyme.
- Bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender (about 40 minutes).
- In another pot, cook the lentils in 3 cups of water with the remaining bay leaf, garlic and thyme. Simmer until crisp tender, 15-20 minutes, adding water if needed.
- Drain any excess liquid.
Cut the Vegetables and Fruits
- While the rice and lentils cook, core and slice the apple and toss it with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Cut the grapes into halves.
- Remove stem and seeds of the pepper, and dice it.
- Dice the celery.
Make the Vinaigrette
Whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients until well blended.
Combine and Serve
- Combine the rice and lentils; remove the bay leaves.
Mix the rice and lentil mixture with half the dressing and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the fruit and vegetables and the remaining dressing.
Add the fruit and vegetables mixture to the lentil/rice mixture, stir, and serve.
Can be served warm, at room temperature or cold.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Egyptian Lentils and Pasta
- French Green Lentils
- Green Lentil Salad
- Lentil, Lemon and Tuna Salad
- Turkish Lentils and Lamb
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?