Recipe Idea: Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop. This Quinoa and Black Bean Salad is a hearty casserole that can be served either cold or at room temperature. It is packed with protein since quinoa is a “complete” protein, and it also contains protein-rich black beans. It’s vegan and gluten free.
I made this Quinoa and Black Bean Salad for James Madison University’s Center for International Stabilization and Recovery Senior Manager’s Course gathering at my house in awhile ago. The SMC is a training program at JMU that brings together senior management staff from various landmine action centers around the world, including Afghanistan, Iraq, Colombia and about 15-20 more. The program is now done overseas instead of in Harrisonburg, Virginia.
Read on for recipe and nutrition information…
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (15-ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup diced red (or green) bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh green chiles (I use jarred, diced jalapeños)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa well in a sieve under cool running water.
- Bring the water to boil in a saucepan.
- Add quinoa, cover and simmer on low heat until all the water s absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, lime juice, spices and scallions.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, peppers and chiles.
- Add the cooled quinoa and combine thoroughly.
- Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.