Smoked Salmon Frittata. Simple. Elegant. Delicious baked omelet.
Smoked Salmon Frittata
Don here, talking about Smoked Salmon Frittata.
The French have their omelets, but the Italians have Frittata. The ingredients are basically the same but the preparation method varies. A frittata is cooked open face over low heat until it is nearly set. Then it is placed under the broiler for the final cooking. None of that folding over that an omelet requires. I use a 10″ cast iron skillet to make frittatas.
You can freely substitute any vegetable or meat fillings to create your own unique breakfast (or anytime) entrée. I usually start by checking out the refrigerator to see what’s there. I found smoked salmon! Hence this dish.
Smoked Salmon Frittata Recipe
Smoked Salmon Frittata
The Italian "omelet"
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets and stems (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (packed firm)
- 2 oz smoked salmon in small pieces
- 1 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/4 cup cream (or half and half)
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or yogurt (optional)
- fresh chives or parsley (optional garnish)
Sauté the onion in some of the olive oil in an oven-proof 10" skillet (for 2 servings) until it is just soft.
- Add the broccoli and continue cooking for a minute or so more.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes.
Sauté a minute or so more, adding more olive oil if needed.
- Add the smoked salmon and remove from the heat.
- Heat the broiler.
- In a bowl combine the egg substitute, water, cream, marjoram and pepper.
Pour the egg mixture over the salmon and vegetables in the skillet.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 7 minutes or until the bottom is set and the top is still slightly moist.
- Place the skillet 4 to 6 inches below the broiler and broil for a couple of minutes until the top is puffed and starting to brown.
- To serve, top with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt and sprinkle with fresh chives or parsley.
- If you have made a large frittata, slice it into wedges.
- Serve immediately on warm plates.
Smoked Salmon Frittata Nutrition
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Tomato Basil Pie
- Asparagus Tomato Frittata
- Spinach Red Pepper Frittata
- Bacon Artichoke Kalamata Frittata
- Mushroom Omelet
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?