Vegetarian Paella is a scrumptious slow cooker recipe with great protein and fiber that is low in calories.
This excellent recipe for Slow Cooker Vegetarian Paella is based on a recipe from Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson. Robertson cooks the rice in the crockpot, but I cook it separately because I don’t like the rice to be mushy.
The blend of flavors is outstanding. The mushrooms give the stew a meaty texture and taste, while the artichokes add some tang. Two kinds of beans, onion, green pepper, peas and a bit of spices make it very hearty. Eat it with or without rice. It’s so good.
What You Need
You’ll need a knife, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, a sauté pan and a slow cooker. I strongly recommend you use saffron instead of sweet paprika. Saffron is truly amazing and gives the recipe an exotic flair.
Vegetarian Paella Recipe
An excellent vegetarian paella stew with beans and artichokes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 small green pepper (seeded and diced)
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms (trimmed and chopped)
- 4 ounces shitake mushrooms (trimmed and chopped)
- 4 ounces green beans (trimmed and cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 large can artichoke hearts
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans (rinsed)
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 teaspoon saffron threads (or 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste (Use sparingly)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the onions until transparent.
- Add the green pepper and continue sautéing until the peppers are tender.
- Dump this mixture into a slow cooker.
- Add a little more oil to the skillet and sauté the mushrooms until they start to brown.
Transfer the mushrooms to the crock pot slow cooker.
- Add everything else except the peas and rice and stir to combine.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 3 hours to blend the flavors.
- About 10 or 15 minutes before you are ready to serve, add the peas and stir.
Serve over warm, cooked rice.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Spicy Vegetarian Stew
- Black Eyed Peas & Kale (slow cooker)
- Vegan Brunswick Stew (slow cooker)
- Tomato Red Sauce/Pasta Sauce (slow cooker)
- Slow Cooker Corned Beef & Cabbage
- Chicago Style Italian Beef (Slow Cooker)