Recipe Idea: Chocolate Elvis Cookies
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop. Did you know that National Peanut Butter Day is January 24 and National Chocolate Day is January 27? I would think the folks who created Peanut Butter Day would have done it on Elvis’ birthday, January 8. I decided to celebrate all three special days by making Sweet Elvis Cookies and Chocolate Elvis Cookies. Yum!
This Chocolate Elvis Cookies recipe is a variation on our friend Norma’s Sweet Elvis Cookies. I thought Norma’s cookies were a bit too sweet so I made some changes to increase the chocolate and decrease the sugar. I also like lots of nuts in my cookies, so I tripled the nuts. Overall, these changes only increased the total calories per cookie by 5 calories, sugar is halved, and the total carbs decreased—a good swap in my opinion.
Many Elvis Cookies call for a banana, but this recipe does not. I especially like the Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa so I used that in my recipe instead of simple cocoa. I’m a dark chocolate fan. This Chocolate Elvis Cookies recipe calls for 1/4 cup of cocoa. They strongly taste of peanut butter, and—although the photo doesn’t do them justice—I think they are terrific.
I suggest you keep them refrigerated as they tasted better and also stick together better that way. Don and Taevi (my granddaughter) both thought they were excellent, although in the “taste test” Taevi said the Sweet Elvis Cookies are just a bit better than the Chocolate Elvis Cookies. When you try them, please comment on which is your favorite!Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 1 cup sugar (or 1 & 1/2 cups if you like sweeter cookies)
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup [url href=”https://amzn.to/1JuKqWW” target=”_blank”]Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa[/url]
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3 1/2 cups oatmeal (gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 & 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, cocoa, and milk and bring it to a boil over medium heat for one minute or so until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Remove from stove.
- Stir in vanilla, peanut butter and oats.
- Add the nuts and stir well.
- Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper.
- Cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- The cookies will set (harden a bit) as they cool.