Recipe Idea: Holiday Spritz Cookies Recipe (Gluten Free)
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about Holiday Spritz Cookies. These are cookies you can make with your kids or grandkids. They have so much fun using the “gun” (cookie dough press) to shoot them out on the pans. It’s a talent to get the cookie sizes all the same, but they will have fun trying. And then there’s the decorating.
When I made decided to make these Holiday Spritz Cookies, I could not find my electric Wear-Ever Super Shooter Cookie Press. What a disaster. I finally called my neighbor and borrowed hers, but hers was not electric. It was manual. I’m an idiot when it comes to putting things together, and I totally broke the darn thing. And THEN I found my electric cookie press. (Trust me, it’s SO much easier with the electric version.) So I had to go out and buy my neighbor a new Wilson cookie press. One note of caution, don’t chill the dough. It needs to be room temperature or it will break the press.
Holiday Spritz Cookies are sweet and pretty. You can make them in star shapes, flowers, or long snake-like lines and many other shapes. Add a little food coloring to some of the dough and your cookie plate will be very pretty. The cookies are crispy and tasty. I make some of them green and add peppermint flavoring; I often make some red vanilla; and I make some without food coloring with almond flavoring. I like the almond ones dipped in chocolate. They are beautiful served on a plate of all kinds of holiday cookies, including Chocolate Cherry Squares, Three Layer Mint Brownies, Danish Sugar Cookies, and Sadie’s Brown Sugar Sugar Cookies!
What’s your favorite Holiday Spritz Cookie? Trust me, you’re gonna love these.
BUT FIRST, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?
Holiday Spritz Cookies
Simple pressed sugar cookie. You will need a spritz "gun" to make these.
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond or pepperment
- 2-1/4 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Mix Flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Colored sugar
- Heat oven to 400F degrees.
- Mix well: butter, sugar, egg, salt, and vanilla (or other flavoring).
- Add flour, a little at a time, and mix until all flour is thoroughly blended.
- Fill the cookie press with dough and force the dough through it onto an ungreased cookie sheet, using whatever shapes you prefer.
- If you are using colored sugar as the only topping, sprinkle it on before you bake the cookies. You can also sprinkle it over the cookie after it is baked if you are dipping it in chocolate.
- Bake the cookies 6-9 minutes, or until set but not brown. (The cookies shown are a little over-done. If they get brown around the edges, they will be somewhat dry.)
- Cool cookies on a rack.
- Melt chocolate chips while cookies are cooling.
- Dip part of each cookie in chocolate and set aside on wax paper or parchment paper to cool and set.
- For additional decorations, sprinkle with colored sugar (or other such toppings), if desired.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon – Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.