Clean Out The Fridge Vegetable Soup is just what it sounds like. Make an amazing soup out of all the little bits of vegetables you have on hand. Add a bit of meat if you like.
Clean Out The Fridge Soup
On Friday I looked in the refrigerator and decided several of the vegetables needed to be cooked and eaten, or they would soon spoil. So I took some organic chicken italian sausages out of the freezer and decided to make a vegetable soup with sausage. It turned out great. (It always does.)
I went to the new European Market (behind the mall in the shopping center where Heavenly Ham is located) and bought a terrific wheat boule to accompany the soup. I hadn't heard of the European Market until recently when Nicky Swayne mentioned it. Thanks, Nicky! What a find!
Tonight, Don and I are headed to the Harrisonburg Signature Chefs fundraiser for the March of Dimes. I served on the board of directors for a few years and we still like to attend this annual event. It always boasts terrific food from many of the area chefs. We are looking forward to it.
What You Need
You will need a soup pot or a Dutch oven, knife, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and some spices. Buy the best tools you can afford and you'll never be sorry.
Refrigerator Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- ¼ red onion chopped
- ½ green bell pepper chopped
- 3 carrots cleaned and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 chicken italian sausages
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 2 small beets peeled and quartered
- 1 small head cauliflower cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 yellow squash sliced and quartered
- 6 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon. dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups fresh kale sliced in ribbons
- In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat until the oil is hot.
- Add the onions, carrots, green pepper and garlic and sauté until the onions are transparent and the other vegetables are starting to soften.
- Add the sausages, sliced in rounds, and saute until slightly browned.
- Add all of the spices, stir, and cook for a minute or two.
- Add the water and bouillon and cook on medium heat for about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the peas and kale and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot with crusty bread.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF, SF, EF*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Smoking Butternut Squash Soup
- Carrot Cauliflower Lemon Thyme Soup
- Tuscan Chicken Soup
- French Vegetable Stew
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked "gluten free," etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This recipe was originally posted on Recipe Idea Shop November 7, 2010 and updated November 20, 2020.
Last Updated on May 6, 2022 by Adriana