What a terrific invention! Gingerbread Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Delightfully delectable! Use grandma’s old-fashioned gingerbread instead of yellow cake for this dessert.
We’d like to take credit for coming up with this idea, but we can’t. Some years ago Don and I were at a dinner party in Williamsburg, Virginia, and Pineapple Upside Down Cake was served for dessert. Lucy Grubb, one of the older guests, told of how her mother would make Pineapple Upside Down Cake with gingerbread instead of the traditional yellow cake. We tried it and have been hooked ever since. The gingerbread version is great comfort food for Don because his family often ate gingerbread in the wintertime, but it’s a bit too heavy for the hot days of summer.
There are no special tricks besides turning it over on a plate when it’s done. It’s mostly a dump and mix recipe. Don makes it the traditional way, in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. To serve, upend the skillet onto a serving platter. Some for the pineapple rings may stay behind, but they are easily lifted from the skillet and placed back on the top of the gingerbread (which, of course, used to be the bottom of the cake until you turn it over).
You can make the Gingerbread Cake alone without the pineapple, but why would you want to?
What You Need
You’re gonna wanna eat this cake. You will need measuring cups and spoons, a 10″ cast iron skillet or cake pan, a colander or sieve and a small knife. But what you really want is a terrific cup of coffee and a beautiful serving plate. Am I right?
Gingerbread Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
Gingerbread Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Better than Old-Fashioned Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Made with a moist, amazing Gingerbread Cake.
THE TOPPING (baked on the bottom)
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 7 rings of canned pineapple
- About a dozen or so maraschino cherry halves
- 1/2 cup of butter softened
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- Heat the butter in the skillet until it melts.
- Swirl the skillet to coat part way up the sides.
- Cover the bottom of the skillet with the brown sugar.
- Place the pineapple rings over the brown sugar around the edge and one in the center of the skillet. Place a maraschino cherry half in the center of each pineapple ring (all with the round side down) and add more in between the rings if you want.
- Heat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Mix in the eggs and molasses.
In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture.
Add the boiling water, mix well, and pour the batter over top of the pineapple rings.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let it rest for a minute, no longer.
- You may find it helpful to loosen the cake from the outside edge of the pan with a table knife before you do the next step.
- Place the serving platter over the skillet and turn both together upside down to reveal the dark brown gingerbread topped with pineapple rings and cherries.
- Let cool and serve just how it is or add whipped cream for elegance.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- My Best Carrot Cake (Gluten Free)
- My Favorite Chocolate Cake
- Easy Cherry Almond Cake
- Speedy Spice Cake