RECIPE IDEA: My Favorite Chocolate Cake
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about My Favorite Chocolate Cake. I love cake, especially chocolate. Actually, I love just about anything chocolate.
This cake recipe originally came from one of those spiral-bound cookbooks that contain recipes contributed by multiple people. It was a Disabled Veterans cookbook. Everything I ever made out of that cookbook was amazing, and this is no exception.
Forget the box mixes! This is easy and SOoooo much better! It is moist and delicious. It truly is My Favorite Chocolate Cake. Just add frosting. Or a few slivered almonds and chocolate chips on top.
If I make this in an oblong pan (9″ x 13″), I make 1-1/2 times the recipe. The cake is very big and fluffy then. Top with Chocolate Frosting. I love it as a layered cake, mostly because I absolutely love chocolate buttercream frosting. My next favorite way to eat this cake is as a cupcake. Bake cupcakes about 20 minutes.
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup shortening (butter)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup sweet milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- Mix the sugar, eggs, salt, and vanilla.
- Mix in the milk.
- Add the flour, cocoa and soda and mix well.
- Melt the butter and boil the water and add to the mixture.
- Mix well and pour into 3 round cake pans (greased) or one 13″ x 9″ cake pan.
- Bake in a 350F degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes (20 minutes for round pans) or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.