Sautéed Apples or Fried Apples. Love on a plate.
Don here. I grew up in the South, where Sautéed Apples are a common side dish. They are considered comfort food and served for breakfast, lunch and supper. I like them best for breakfast over my Buttermilk Pancakes. You can use any kind of cooking apple, but I prefer the tart ones, like Granny Smith.
Sautéed apples—or as we refer to them here in the genteel South, Fried Apples—are a delightful addition to the breakfast plate, and they are gluten free. I have them over pancakes as pictured here. Then sometimes as a side dish alongside bacon, eggs and grits. Piled on top of freshly baked biscuits. As a topping for oatmeal. And alongside a pork chop. Be creative, they go with anything, including served warm over ice cream or on shortcake.
The quantities given are only suggestions. Adjust them to suit your taste. Maybe add a pinch of allspice or ground cloves for a different taste. Bon Appétit, y’all!
What You Need
You’ll need a good knife, cutting board, measuring spoons and a sauté pan. Get the best you can afford and you will never be sorry.
Southern Sautéed Apples (Fried Apples) Recipe
Sweet and slightly tart apple side dish for any meal.
- 2 large tart apples like Granny Smith
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Quarter, core and cut the apples into thin slices.
- You can peel the apples if you wish, but why throw away all the good nutrients in the skin?
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a non-stick skillet.
- Sauté the apples until they begin to soften.
- Add the spices.
- Continue cooking the apples until they are soft throughout and the juices thicken to form a nice syrup.
- Serve immediately or keep tightly covered in the fridge and reheat when ready to eat.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Easy Baked Apples
- Grilled Piña Colada Pineapple
- Crumbly Top Apple Pie
- Apple Crisp
- Don’s Blueberry Pie
- Crumbly Top Blueberry Pie
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?