Recipe Idea: Slow Cooker Beans Bourguignon (Beans Burgundy)
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, talking about a fabulous Slow Cooker Beans Bourguignon (Vegan) recipe. I am always looking for delicious, vegan slow cooker recipes. And this one is delicious. Much like Boeuf Bourguignon (Beef Burgundy), made famous by Julia Child, Slow Cooker Beans Bourguignon is packed with flavor. If you don’t like kidney beans, substitute another variety.
I made this recipe several years ago when we had a couple young men from Up with People staying with us for several days. Because Carlos was vegetarian and we were going to be out at the Up With People performance until 6:45 pm or so, I decided to make this slow cooker stew on Sunday night to be ready when we returned.
The guys were terrific in their performance. Don and I really enjoyed it. Carlos, who was the quiet one at home, turned out to be the most demonstrative in the performance. That was quite a surprise. Dillon was polished in his performance and we enjoyed that, too!
You will, of course, need a Slow Cooker for this recipe. It you don’t have one, I suggest you get a Programmable Slow Cooker so you can set the timer to start it whenever you want. That way, you won’t have to worry if you are delayed in traffic or at work a little bit, although this recipe can cook a little longer than the 7 hours it calls for and it will be fine. Try this Programmable Slow Cooker:
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
- 12 shallots
- 8 ounces of baby carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- Canola spray (like Pam)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 15.5-ounce cans of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, quartered
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, quartered
- Blanch the shallots in boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and peel the skins off the shallots.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet until hot.
- Add the shallots and carrots and when the vegetables are a little brown and starting to get tender, add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Transfer the vegetables to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker (sprayed with Pam).
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the mushrooms.
- Stir and cook in the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours.
- Sauté the mushrooms in the skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil until they are soft and turning brown. As Julia Child said, “The secret to good mushrooms is: don’t crowd the mushrooms.”
- Set the mushrooms aside; stir mushrooms into the stew about 20 minutes before you plan to serve the stew.
- Serve with [url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/jalapeno-cornbread/” target=”_blank”]Cornbread[/url] or a nice [url href=”https://recipeideashop.com/crusty-french-rolls/” target=”_blank”]Crusty French Roll[/url] and a glass of red wine.