This Slow Cooker Beans Bourguignon (Beans Burgundy) makes an amazing, filling meal.
Slow Cooker Beans Bourguignon (Beans Burgundy)
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, talking about a fabulous Slow Cooker Beans Bourguignon (Vegan) recipe. I am always looking for delicious, vegan slow cooker recipes. And this one is so good. Much like Boeuf Bourguignon (Beef Burgundy), made famous by Julia Child, Slow Cooker Beans Bourguignon is packed with flavor. If you don’t like kidney beans, substitute another variety of beans.
I first made this recipe several years ago when we had a couple young men from Up with People staying with us for several days. Because Carlos was vegetarian and we were going to be out at the Up With People performance until 6:45 pm or so, I decided to make this slow cooker stew on Sunday night to be ready when we returned.
The guys were terrific in their performance. Don and I really enjoyed it. Carlos, who was the quiet one at home, turned out to be the most demonstrative in the performance. That was quite a surprise. Dillon was polished in his performance and we enjoyed that, too!
I’m not sure where I originally got this recipe. It’s probably either from Robin Robertson or Moosewood. Both have wonderful vegetarian recipes!
What You Need
You will, of course, need a Slow Cooker for this recipe. It you don’t have one, I suggest you get a Programmable Slow Cooker so you can set the timer to start it whenever you want. That way, you won’t have to worry if you are delayed in traffic or at work a little bit, although this recipe can cook a little longer than the 7 hours it calls for and it will be fine. Other tools you will need are knives, a cutting board, and measuring cups and spoons. Do yourself a favor and get some beautiful dinnerware for serving.
Slow Cooker Beans Bourguignon Recipe
Slow Cooker Beans Bourguignon
- 12 shallots
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- Canola spray (like Pam)
- 1 small can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 15.5-ounce cans kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms (quartered)
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms (quartered)
- Blanch the shallots in boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and peel the skins off the shallots.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet until hot.
Add the shallots and carrots, and when the vegetables are a little brown and starting to get tender, add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Transfer the vegetables to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker (sprayed with Pam).
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the mushrooms.
- Stir and cook in the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours.
- Sauté the mushrooms in the skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil until they are soft and turning brown. As Julia Child said, "The secret to good mushrooms is: don't crowd the mushrooms."
- Set the mushrooms aside; stir mushrooms into the stew about 20 minutes before you plan to serve the stew.
Serve with cornbread or crusty French bread and a glass of red wine.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Bourguignon
- Instant Pot Beef Burgundy Bourguignon
- Mediterranean Chickpea Stew
- Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- Hello Dahl-y Lentil Dahl
- French Vegetable Stew