South Beach Cabbage Salad is deliciously light and flavored with sesame oil.
And it’s not your usual mayonnaise coleslaw. Made with cabbage, sesame oil, rice vinegar and onions, it has an Asian flavor.
South Beach Diet
Periodically, Don and I go on the South Beach Diet, designed by Dr. Arthur Agatston, to reset our metabolisms and lose a few pounds. The recipes are really good and I never mind eating them. Giving up cookies, though, is not my favorite part. (I do love my cookies!) I don’t get along with diets and I’m happy if I don’t GAIN weight. Don always does great. The South Beach Diet works well for him.
I like the South Beach Diet recipes because they are tasty and healthful. They use whole foods, herbs and spices, low-fat or healthier oils, and good, quality meats and vegetables. The various flavor combinations in the recipes are interesting and often new to me. This South Beach Cabbage Salad is no exception. My version of the recipe doubles the amount of oil and vinegar in the original recipe. I like it better and it’s still low cal/low fat.
This reminds me of the Asian Slaw recipe people made in the 1990s. But it’s missing the crispy Asian noodles. That would be a yummy addition, but then it wouldn’t fit the South Beach Diet.
What You Need
For this recipe you need a knife, cutting board, measuring spoons, a box grater or food processor, a wire whisk and a bowl or measuring cup. But what you really want are some wonderful pans, dishes and stemware, am I right?
South Beach Cabbage Salad Recipe
South Beach Cabbage Salad
Asian style slaw
- 1/2 a small head of green cabbage washed and shredded
- 3 green onions scallions, white and tender green parts only, chopped or 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 4 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Mix the cabbage and onions.
- In a cup or small bowl, whisk together the sesame oil and vinegar.
- In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds until browned. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
- Add the seeds to the oil and vinegar mixture and stir.
- Pour the oil and vinegar mixture over the cabbage and stir to combine.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- South Beach Florentine Egg Cups
- South Beach Lemon Garlic Grilled Salmon
- South Beach Balsamic Chicken
- South Beach Lemon Ricotta Creme
- Coleslaw (traditional)
BEFORE YOU GO, DID YOU GRAB YOUR FREE COOKBOOK?