South Beach Cabbage Salad (5 ingredients) is deliciously light and flavored with sesame oil.
South Beach Cabbage Salad
This South Beach Cabbage Salad requires only 5 ingredients, and it's not your usual mayonnaise coleslaw. Made with cabbage, sesame oil, rice vinegar and onions, it has an Asian flavor. Periodically, Don and I go on the South Beach Diet, designed by Dr. Arthur Agatston, to reset our metabolisms and lose a few pounds. The recipes are really good and I never mind eating them. Giving up cookies, though, is not my favorite part. (I do love my cookies!) I don't get along with diets and I'm happy if I don't GAIN weight. Don always does great. The South Beach Diet works well for him.
I like the South Beach Diet recipes because they are tasty and healthful. They use whole foods, herbs and spices, low-fat or healthier oils, and good, quality meats and vegetables. The various flavor combinations in the recipes are interesting and often new to me. This South Beach Cabbage Salad is no exception. My version of the recipe doubles the amount of oil and vinegar in the original recipe. I like it better and it's still low cal/low fat.
This reminds me of the Asian Slaw recipe people made in the 1990s. But it's missing the crispy Asian noodles. That would be a yummy addition, but then it wouldn't fit the South Beach Diet and it wouldn't be gluten free.
What You Need
For this recipe you need a knife (affiliate link), cutting board, measuring spoons, a box grater or food processor, a wire whisk and a bowl or measuring cup.
South Beach Cabbage Salad Recipe
South Beach Cabbage Salad Recipe
- ½ a small head of green cabbage washed and shredded
- 3 green onions scallions, white and tender green parts only, chopped or ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 4 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds or flax seeds
- Mix the cabbage and onions.
- In a cup or small bowl, whisk together the sesame oil and vinegar.
- In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds until browned. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
- Add the seeds to the oil and vinegar mixture and stir.
- Pour the oil and vinegar mixture over the cabbage and stir to combine.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF, SF, EF, CF, V, VG* The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.
Nourish Your Body & Soul
I encourage you to care of yourself by eating satisfying, nourishing food that is good for your body and makes you feel healthy. Protect your spirit by living authentically, moving your body, and taking time to replenish and rest. I think you might also like these recipes & posts from Recipe Idea Shop:
- South Beach Florentine Egg Cups
- South Beach Lemon Garlic Grilled Salmon
- South Beach Balsamic Chicken
- South Beach Lemon Ricotta Creme
- What to serve with cabbage rolls
- Coleslaw (traditional)
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes and posts, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked "gluten free," etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
This post was first published on Recipe Idea Shop January 10, 2017 and updated April 4, 2021.
Leave a Reply