RECIPE IDEA: Smokin Butternut Squash Soup (DF, GF, Vegan)
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links.
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, with a super creamy, delicious Smokin Butternut Squash Soup (dairy free, gluten free, vegan). I think this is my favorite butternut squash soup so far!
I started with one of those little video recipes on FaceBook. I think it was called Thai Butternut Squash Soup. However, when I clicked over to the website, I couldn’t find the darn recipe. There was no way to search for it. Frustrating. So I watched it a couple times and then improvised.
I always think I should learn how to do those quick, little videos, but then I realize that by the time I figure it out, the trend will pass. So, for now, I’ll stick to what I’m doing.
I took a big pot of this soup to Shiloh’s Family Camp Weekend and served it for lunch on Saturday. The temperature that day was about 90F degrees and I decided to serve the soup cold. Several people told me how much they liked it. It’s super tasty either hot or cold, so take your pick. And look at the amount of protein in this vegan soup!
We have a couple of other Butternut Squash Soup recipes, too. (Don’t let the terrible picture put you off. The recipe is super good. I guess I’ll have to make it again soon to get a better picture.) Just search in the search bar at the top of the page for more ideas.
Enjoy the recipe. Please comment when you try it, and as always, share it in your social media feed using the hashtag #recipeideashop.
Did you grab your FREE cookbook?
To make this soup, I used a vegetable peeler, chef’s knife, garlic press, zester/grater, cutting board, Dutch oven (pot), measuring cups and spoons, and an immersion blender (it’s the best little invention, isn’t it?), similar to these (affiliate links):
Read on for Recipe and Nutrition…
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated (about a 2" piece)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- One large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Better than Bouillon vegetable seasoning
- 16 ounces (dry) red lentils
- 2 tablespoons Thai Red Curry Paste
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (or more, to taste)
- 2 13.5-ounce cans of lite coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (to garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in the Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté until the onions are translucent but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, boullion, and water and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, curry paste, smoked paprika, and pepper. Continue cooking for about 10-15 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are soft.
- Add the coconut milk and use the emulsion blender, blending until smooth.
- Stir in the lime juice and serve immediate or refrigerate overnight to serve cold.