Recipe Idea: Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, telling you about my Grilled Eggplant Parmesan, or leave out the Parmesan and you have Grilled Eggplant.
Eggplant is terrific when it is cooked right. I love it in Baba Ganooj and Ratatouille, but I am usually not a fan of Eggplant Parmesan because most restaurants make it mushy and they cover it in sauce and cheese. In this simple recipe, I skipped the sauce and used only a little Pecorino Romano (shredded) for a bit of added flavor. In the past, Don has grilled it on the gas grill outside, but over the weekend, I used the Cuisinart Griddler and it worked out beautifully. It is healthful and awesome, vegetarian and gluten-free.
If you enjoy sauce on your Eggplant, try adding a little Red Pasta Sauce (I make mine in a slow cooker) after you grill it. I’m including the nutrition label for the sauce, as well, with a serving size of one cup. However, in this instance, I would start with 1/4 cup for a serving so as not to overwhelm the eggplant.
Read on for recipe and nutrition…
Lighter Eggplant Parmesan
- 2 small eggplants cut in ¼” slices
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Shredded Pecorino Romano or Parmesan Cheese
- Whisk the olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper until blended.
- Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil mixture (both sides).
- Grill both sides until tender and a little brown, about 5 minutes a side.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve hot.