Leek Potato Sausage Soup is a hearty, tasty soup that is especially good in cooler weather. You can make it a bit spicy with hot Italian sausages or milder if you use sweet Italian sausages. Either way, yum!
Leek Potato Sausage Soup makes a savory meal.
I love soup, especially hearty soup. This Leek Potato Sausage Soup makes an excellent lunch or supper meal. I made this recipe on one of those crisp, fall days that simply beg for soup. Sometimes I use sweet Italian sausage in the recipe, but this time I was delighted when I saw hot Italian sausages in my freezer. It was even better.
Don loves creamy potato soup. I do, too, but since I cannot eat dairy because it makes my joints hurt, I substitute coconut milk. Don doesn't know the difference and he's a happy guy. The potatoes make it thick without adding any flour or gluten, so it fits a gluten free diet, too. And wow. This soup is good.
Try this soup with some Gluten Free Dairy Free White Bread and a Baked Apple.
What You Need
You will need a knife, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and a soup pot or Dutch oven. Simple. This time of year, a good pot for making soup is essential. Don't skimp on your kitchen tools. Get the kind that last.
Leek Potato Sausage Soup Recipe
Leek Potato Sausage Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks tender white parts only
- 2 Chicken sausages hot or sweet
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and diced, about 2 cups
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 13.5 ounce can coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
- Slice the sausages into bite-sized pieces, removing and discarding the skin.
- Set aside.
- Slice the leeks in ⅛ inch strips, wash thoroughly inside and out, and then dice.
- Heat the oil until hot in a Dutch oven. Add and cook the leeks for a minute or two over medium heat.
- Add the sausage pieces to the pot and cook until done.
- Add the vegetable broth and potatoes, and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Add the salt, thyme, basil, and coconut milk. Stir.
- Heat over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sherry and heat for another 30 seconds to a minute.
- Onion Potato Soup with Dumplings
- Mexican Chicken Soup
- Mulligatawny Chicken Soup
- Mental Lentil Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Leek Potato Soup
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF (contains coconut), SF, EF, CF (use sea salt)*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
Lois Carter Crawford is an author, home chef, health advocate, and food coach who fought her way back from several debilitating health issues, including a moderate heart attack! She discovered that inflammation caused by the food she ate was the underlying cause of most of her health problems and developed a method and tools to help others research their food sensitivities.