Mental Lentil Soup. A silly name, but a hearty, tasty meal.
Mental Lentil Soup, Good Peasant Meal
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, discussing a good, hearty soup, Mental Lentil Soup. It’s robust and scrumptious.Why do I call it “Mental” Lentil Soup? When our younger daughters were growing up, they were not fond of trying new foods. Don and I both love Lentil Soup, but Roni and Nessa did not like it. They called it Mental Soup and occasionally managed to choke a bit down.
Don made a variation of this soup for dinner on Saturday night. Thanks, Don! Not only did we have a delicious meal, but I have lunch for a couple days this week.
You can easily change the whole flavor of it by adding a ham bone or a few different spices. If you like a spicy soup, you can add turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and roasted red peppers for an entirely different flavor.
Serve with Crusty French Bread or a grilled cheese sandwich and a salad for a flavorful peasant supper. I generally add a little bit of vinegar to my soup when I eat it. The vinegar gives it a tangy flavor.
TOOLS EVERY WELL-EQUIPPED KITCHEN NEEDS
Every kitchen should have the very best tools you can afford. At the least, buy yourself a good set of pans, a slow cooker, an Instant Pot, measuring cups and spoons, and the best set of chef’s knives you can afford. Also be sure to get a full sized food processor and a mini food processor. These tools are essential for any well-equipped kitchen!
Mental Lentil Soup Recipe
Mental Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 pound dry lentils
- 8-1/2 cups water
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 vegetable or beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large pot, sauté the onions and carrots in the olive oil until the onions are transparent.
- Add water, lentils, bouillon and spices and cook for about 30 minutes until lentils are tender but not mushy.
- Skim off the foam as it comes to the surface and stir the soup occasionally as you cook it.
- Add the tomato paste and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Mental Lentil Soup Nutrition
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Slow Cooker Middle Eastern Chickpea and Lentil Soup
- French Vegetable Stew
- Roasted Ratatouille with Corn
- Indian Ratatouille
- Mediterranean Chickpea Stew
- Lentil Riced Stuffed Roasted Eggplant
- Vegetable Dill Stew