Moroccan Chickpea Stew. The. Best. Flavor. Slow cooker recipe. Simple. Easy. Amazing.
Moroccan Chickpea Stew (Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free)
Hi. It’s Lois in the kitchen. I love trying new recipes and bringing them to community dinners to share. This Moroccan Chickpea Stew is an amazing dish people appreciate. So flavorful and packed with goodness. Because there are several ingredients, it does take about 15 minutes to get it ready to cook, but it is well worth the effort!
The recipe is originally from Robin Robertson’s Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. This was so delicious, as all of her recipes are! Everyone who tried it loved it, and the smell of it was very enticing. I served it over fresh raw kale, and that was the perfect finish. It is vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free, so just about anyone can eat it.
Check out the recipe…
I know this is a slow cooker recipe, and y’all probably have one, but have you tried the Instant Pot? OMG. You can use it as a slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, sauté pot, and so much more. You could easily convert this recipe to Instant Pot! Really. Don’t wait. Get one.
Moroccan Chickpea Stew Recipe
Moroccan Chickpea Stew
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots minced
- 3 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Hungarian sweet pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 ounces fresh green beans rinsed, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 ounce 14.5-can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1/2 cup dried apricots chopped
- 1/2 cup dried craisins
- 1/4 cup pimento-stuffed green olives chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skilled.
- Sauté the shallots, garlic and spices for about 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the red peppers and carrots and sauté for about 5-7 minutes.
- Dump all this into a 4 to 6 quart crock pot (slow cooker).
- Add the beans, lemon juice, chick peas, tomatoes and vegetable stock and cook either on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours (I did it on high).
- About 1/2 hour before serving, add the dried fruit, peas and olives.
- Serve over fresh, raw kale or rice
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. This posting includes affiliate links. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account.
Moroccan Chickpea Stew Nutrition Information
Want More Recipes Like This?
If you want more delicious recipes, please sign up for our free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Mediterranean Chickpea Stew
- Vegetable Dill Stew
- Eggplant Chickpea Spiced Quinoa
- Spicy Black Beans and Apricots
- Slow Cooker Middle Eastern Chickpea and Lentil Soup