Indian Pumpkin Soup with Mint is a delectable fall soup. Look at that deep so-good-for-you color. You can tell just by looking at it that it will nourish you.
Indian Pumpkin Soup with Mint delights the soul.
Wouldn’t you like some of this Indian Pumpkin Soup with Mint to warm you up on these cold, fall nights? This time of year, pumpkins and various squashes are abundant, inexpensive and tasty. I think most pumpkin soup recipes are a bit on the boring side, but this vegan, gluten free Indian Pumpkin Soup is packed with goodness, flavor, and protein. And I love it.
The first time I made this soup was a few years ago when right before Halloween, my granddaughter Taevi talked me into buying a small pie pumpkin. She wanted to make a jack-o-lantern. After I bought it, we didn’t have time to carve it before she had to go home. So I drew a face on it and put it outside on Halloween. The next day I brought it back inside and made Indian Pumpkin Soup.
And can I just say, “Outstanding!”
The pumpkin in this soup tastes nothing like it does when it’s made into a dessert or simple pumpkin puree. If you like good, ole sweet pumpkin, I suggest you try Roasted Pumpkin or Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Pumpkin. And, of course, Roasted Pumpkin Pie.
Indian Pumpkin Pie with Mint is filling and scrumptious. You’re gonna wanna eat this.
What You Need
For this recipe, you need a good vegetable peeler, knives, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, and a good Dutch Oven or set of pans. You also need an immersion blender or another type of blender. Do yourself a favor and buy the best you can afford. You’ll never be sorry.
Indian Pumpkin Soup Recipe
Indian Pumpkin Soup with Mint
- 1 small pie pumpkin peeled, deseeded, and cut in chunks (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and grated (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dried mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- 2 cups red lentils
- 6 cups water
- In a large Dutch Oven or soup pot, heat the oil and sauté the onions until they are translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds.
Add the nutmeg, mint, cumin, turmeric and curry, and stir.
- Add the water, pumpkin, and potato and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat when it boils to medium and continue to cook about 10 minutes until the pumpkin is almost done.
- Add the lentils and cook for another 10 minutes until the lentils, pumpkin, and potatoes are soft.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it is smooth.
Affiliate Disclosure: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Recipe Nutrition Information
This recipe is GF, DF, NF, SF, EF, CF (use sea salt), V, VG*
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love our recipes. Up your recipe repertoire. Add this recipe to your collection. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook and a printable grocery shopping list.
RATE, PIN & SHARE!
Please Rate our recipes, and Pin and Share them on social media. Comments are welcome, too!
GF = Gluten free | DF = Dairy free | NF = Nut free | SF = Soy free | EF = Egg free | CF = Corn free | V = Vegetarian | VG = Vegan
Note: If you have serious allergies or sensitivities, to be considered free of these allergens, you need to use products specifically marked “gluten free,” etc. There can be cross-contamination in facilities.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Smokin’ Butternut Squash Soup
- Harvest Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup
- Gingery Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash Vichyssoise Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup (with Thyme, Sage & Basil)