Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Country home cooking good.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Hi. It’s Lois at Recipe Idea Shop, talking about Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Pineapple Upside Down Cake has always been one of my favorite cakes—until we discovered Gingerbread Pineapple Upside Down Cake (which is even better)!
The combination of fruit and cake really hits the spot. If my mom didn’t make Confetti Angel Food Cake for me for my birthday, she made this cake. Being a mom of the 50s and 60s, she took the easy way out, though, and used a box mix. (And I understand why since I have never been able to make an Angel Food Cake from scratch.) She also made her Pineapple Upside Down Cake with a yellow cake box mix. I make mine from scratch. It takes only a little more time and it’s SO much better.
For best results you will need a seasoned cast iron skillet.
This from-scratch Pineapple Upside Down Cake is easy and delicious. Trust me. You’re gonna love it. It’s so pretty and scrumptious.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
The Topping Ingredients (Topping is baked on the bottom)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 7 canned pineapple rings (1 large can, drained)
- 12 Maraschino cherry halves (or 7 pecan halves)
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups flour
Heat the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet until it melts.
- Swirl the skillet to coat part way up the sides.
- Cover the bottom of the skillet with the brown sugar.
- Place the pineapple rings over the brown sugar around the edge and one in the center of the skillet. Place a maraschino cherry half in the center of each pineapple ring (all with the round side down) and add more in between the rings if you want.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Mix in the egg, milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix the remaining dry ingredients.
Fold dry ingredients mixture into the liquid mixture.
- Mix well and pour it over top of the pineapple rings.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let it rest for a minute, no longer.
- You may find it helpful to loosen the cake with a table knife from the outside edge of the pan before you do the next step.
Place the serving platter over the top of the skillet and turn the whole thing upside down to reveal the brown sugar topped cake with pineapple rings and cherries or pecans.
- Let cool and serve just how it is or add whipped cream for elegance.
Note: Many of the links included throughout Recipe Idea Shop are affiliate links, which means if you follow them and you buy something, we will get a small commission. It doesn’t cost you a penny more, and you can still use your Amazon Prime (Shop Amazon — Give the Gift of Amazon Prime) account to buy. Don and I love our Amazon Prime account. This posting includes affiliate links.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Nutrition
WHAT’S NOT TO LOVE?
Trust me, you’re gonna love this recipe. But don’t stop there…subscribe to our email newsletter and get a free cookbook.
Pin & Share!
Please Pin and share our recipes. And tell us what you think in the comments.
You May Also Like These Recipes From Recipe Idea Shop
- Gingerbread Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- My Best Carrot Cake (Gluten Free)
- My Favorite Chocolate Cake
- Easy Cherry Almond Cake
- Speedy Spice Cake